Barrhaven Residents Whose Homes Were Damaged By Tornado Eligible For Tax Break

Residents of Barrhaven whose homes were damaged by last month’s tornado are eligible to get a break on their property taxes.

The City of Ottawa has posted information on what Barrhaven residents should do if their homes were damaged.

Tornado-impacted homeowners in Barrhaven may be eligible to cancel, reduce or refund part of their property taxes for the year where:

  • The structure was completely destroyed by the windstorm and tornado.
  • The structure on your property has been destroyed or damaged to the point that it is substantially unusable.
  • Tornado-related repairs prevent its normal use for at least three months.

Homeowners must submit an application form by Thursday, February 29, 2024. They can apply online at

They can also apply by email by contacting:; or by mail at:

City of Ottawa Revenue Services c/o Tax Adjustments Section

100 Constellation Drive, 4th Floor East

Ottawa, ON K2G 6J8

Forms are available online, Property taxes cancellation, reduction or refund | City of Ottawa or by contacting Revenue Services at 613-580-2444. Homeowners will have to provide details about the damage and repairs, including pictures and insurance reports.

The city says it realizes the paperwork that impacted property owners are facing can be difficult to manage. If you have any questions, contact:

Revenue Services – 613-580-2444 (TTY 613-580-2401), Monday to Friday, 8 am to 4 pm or Monday to Friday, 8 am to 4:30 pm (as of Friday, September 1).

The city’s Public Works staff have been working to make roads, parks and right of ways safe again. All known hazards have already been addressed, however the City continues to ask that residents report any tree, road or parks related hazards to 3-1-1 for follow-up.

Roadside sweeps are now complete. Contractors engaged by insurance providers or by residents directly are responsible for the proper disposal and diversion where possible of construction and house related debris.

Please ensure that any debris is kept separate when placing tree and yard debris related to the storm at the curb for pickup. Find details on how to package tree and yard debris here.

For any questions or for information on other city-related services, call 3-1-1.

Property damage and insurance

If your property was damaged by the storm, please contact your insurance company as soon as possible.

If you have insurance questions, please contact your insurance rep or contact the Insurance Bureau of Canada by calling 1-844-227-5422 or emailing

Most home and business insurance policies cover damage caused by some emergency situations such as a windstorm or tornado. If you are a renter, contact the property owner and your renters’ insurance company. Your insurance company will give you direction on your next steps and assist with clean up and debris removal.

Protect yourself and coordinate everything through your insurance company. Document and take photos of any damage. Keep all receipts related to the storm, such as for hotels, food, pet boarding and supplies.

Featured Image – More than 125 homes in Barrhaven were damaged in last month’s tornado.