By Barrhaven Independent Staff
The special enforcement conducted by the Ottawa Police Service (OPS) Traffic Unit has resulted in nearly 100 tickets and charges this month in Barrhaven.
The OPS reported that they issued 28 tickets in Barrhaven Saturday night. They also charged a motorist who was travelling 111 km/h in a 50 km/h zone with stunt driving.
“Our Traffic Unit conducted more enforcement in #Barrhaven Saturday night issuing 28 speeding tickets and one stunt driving charge (111 km/hr in a 50 km/h zone). Other tickets for unnecessary noise and no insurance were also issued. Drive safe,” read a tweet sent out by @OttawaPolice.
The previous weekend, there were 63 tickets issued, including seven for stunt driving.
According to the Province of Ontario website, stunt driving includes:
- driving 40 kilometres per hour or more over the speed limit on roads with a speed limit less than 80 kilometres per hour;
- driving 50 kilometres per hour or more over the speed limit;
- driving in a way that prevents other vehicles from passing;
- intentionally cutting off another vehicle;
- intentionally driving too close to another vehicle, pedestrian or fixed object.
Drivers caught driving 150 kilometres per hour or more are subject to stunt driving charges. This applies anywhere in the province, including sections of freeways with limits of 110 kilometres per hour.
Street racing includes:
- two or more motor vehicles driving in a way that indicates the drivers are competing
- chasing another motor vehicle
- changing lanes repeatedly at a high rate of speed and weaving through traffic
Drivers who are involved in stunt driving or street racing are subject to an immediate 30-day driver’s license suspension, an immediate 14-day vehicle impoundment at roadside (whether it is your vehicle or not), a minimum fine of $2,000 and a maximum fine of $10,000, a jail term of up to six months, a post-conviction license suspension of up to two years for the first conviction, and up to 10 years for a second conviction within 10 years, and six demerit points.